Be sweet without adding sugar, and use the holiday to focus on love AND health. Most of the ideas below can be done at or around home to stay Covid-safe, or out in the world.
- Walk & Talk: A classic, low-maintenance, no-equipment needed date, though you have to bundle up. Put some hand-warmers in your mittens and move briskly. Deepen the conversation with your own inquiries or 100 Questions to Ask Your Partner on Date Night: https://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/list-100-questions-ask-your-partner-date-nights.html
- Massage: From taking turns at home to scheduling an official couple’s massage at a spa, to investing in any number of handheld massage tools—you’ve got lots of options. Set the tone with music, incense or scented candles, and more.
- Dance Together: Play a slow song for a close embrace or rock out with something upbeat. If you want to get more formal, a ballroom dance class is a solid experiential V-Day gift. Good one to get the kids in on, or something to throw into the evening while you’re waiting for the veggies to roast.
- Speaking of veggies…Try a new healthy recipe: Cooking together allows for conversation and creativity—and options abound: Virtual Cooking Classes are everywhere these days so pull up a video or google “healthy recipe” with whatever ingredients you have around. A great choice that’s high-protein, easy, healthy, and still dessert? Tofu Chocolate Pudding (see below). If a restaurant feels more special, look for something different and healthy. Make reservations where you can and ask on the phone about the healthiest options they have in advance.
- Swap Workout Favorites: You like yoga and your partner likes benching? Let the yogi lead a few stretches and the pec-pusher spot some heavy reps. Take turns sharing your best workout staples to learn about the talents of each other and get some variety for yourself. Default to a group exercise class live or online if you prefer.
Tofu Chocolate Pudding
- 1 14-oz block firm tofu
- 4-5 ripe, frozen bananas
- 1 t. vanilla
- ½ c. cocoa powder
- dash of cinnamon
- 1-4 dried pitted dates (optional—adds extra sweetness)
Blend all together until smooth. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving. Top with whipped cream, shredded coconut, nuts, strawberries—whatever you like!