Mixing ground flaxseed into a recipe is a great way to increase your fiber and omega-3 intake. Plus, who doesn’t want a healthy, good for you muffin for a snack after a workout at the gym?
Makes 12 Muffins
1 Whole Egg (or 2 Egg Whites)
1/3 Cup Molasses
1 Cup Buttermilk (or 1 Cup Fat Free Milk with 1 Tablespoon Vinegar, let sit 5 minutes to make “sour milk”)
¾ Cup Ground Flaxseed
½ Teaspoon Salt
1 Cup Chopped Dates
1 ½ Cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour (or mix ¾ cup Whole Wheat Flour and ¾ cup All Purpose Flour)
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
½ Teaspoon Cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350⁰F, line 12 muffin cups with papers or spray lightly with oil to prevent sticking.
- In large bowl, mix egg, molasses, buttermilk (or sour milk), flax and salt. Add dates when combined.
- In separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Stir flour into liquid date mixture until just combined.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full and bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Recipe obtained from Nancy Clark’s Sports Nutrition Guidebook, 5th Ed.